We take great pride in researching each and every product that we use/sell in our salon and spa. Each product, whether for hair, skin or makeup, are products we stand behind. We only offer the very best to our clients, so you can be sure when deciding on whether or not to try a product, that we also use them ourselves!
That said, one of the brands we are completely obsessed with is SkinCeuticals. Open any magazine and you are sure to find either an Allure beauty award or a review of their products by top plastic surgeons, dermatologists or medical grade spas! SkinCeuticals is backed by years of research and development, and each product actually does what it says it will do! Serums that contain light sensitive antioxidants are packaged and sold in their dark glass bottles so that the light will not destroy the integrity of the product. Great to know when you are investing in superior skincare products!
One of our newest favorites is their H.A. Intensifier. This fabulous little miracle worker is a multi-functional serum that helps to amplify hyaluronic acid levels in your skin. This acid occurs naturally in your skin and helps to retain moisture. Unfortunately, as we age, we produce less and less. What happens when less of this acid is available? Your skin will be less firm and plump, and the texture will be rougher, and who wants that? Not us! Hyaluronic acid is such an important hydrator to the skin and SkinCeuticals H.A. Intensifier combines surface-hydrating hyaluronic acid with 10% proxylane (proxylane is a sugar-protein hybrid found in beech trees, responsible for defending against water loss), and the perfect concentration of licorice and purple rice extracts to support your skin’s hyaluronic acid levels. Add this to your arsenal of skincare products and show off hydrated, plumped and firmer looking skin!
Not sure what skincare is right for you? Our SkinCeuticals rep. will be offering a complimentary skin analysis using their powerful Skin Scope to tell you exactly where any dry, congested, sun damaged skin, etc. is on your face at our Girls Beauty Night this Wednesday, April 5th from 6 pm to 9 pm. Other highlights of the evening will include a beauty and fashion workshop with Dee, our Co-Owner and Erica Jensen, Owner of Helen Ainson. Get the scoop on all the beauty and fashion trends for spring/summer 2017! Shop our 3 trunk shows that evening featuring jewelry, clothing, accessories and lots more! Enjoy pina coladas, other refreshments and small bites!
Our raffle basket with products and services valued over $3,000 will be raffled off with proceeds going to Smile Train. Please R.S.V.P. 203-656-5656. Hope to see you there!
Sometimes it’s the littlest things that can make a huge difference, and that is no different when it comes to beauty. Knowing some good tips and tricks can elevate your look to a whole new level! Simple things like banishing dry, flakey lips, or the simple beauty hack that can make that lipstick work for you, are essential to know to look your best! And can we state for the record that you need to stop saying “cheese” when taking a photo. The best word to use according to our sources? Say “money”, It leaves you with the sides of your mouth slightly turned up for a more realistic smile vs. saying “cheese” which leaves you with a more frozen, fake smile!
Read on for our 8 Beauty Tricks You Need To Know!
- When taking a photo, say the word “money” instead of “cheese”, it turns the corners of your mouth up for a more authentic smile. Saying “cheese” can make your smile look forced and un natural.
- When applying eyeshadow keep your eyes open and apply directly into the crease. Don’t use the “pull tight” method, as it can (and most likely will) end up leaving you applying more than needed.
- Make that lipstick work for you! You bought a new lipstick except when you get home, the shade you thought worked just doesn’t cut it. Make it work for you by breaking out your favorite concealer and pat on your lips. By applying concealer you will be able to work with a neutral canvas, and therefore getting a more true hue finish.
- Speaking of lips…. Winter can be so harsh on your pout! Keep them moisturized so lipstick doesn’t look dry and flakey. One trick: exfoliate your lips with a damp washcloth by rubbing gently in a circular motion. Now you can swipe on your favorite lipstick. The damp cloth will gently slough off dead skin to reveal a more beautiful pout!
- Make your perfume last all day! Applying a small amount of Vaseline to pulse points on your wrists and neck. Then spritz on your signature scent to those pulse points. The Vaseline is hydrating and very rich so it helps the scent to stay in place.
- Add antioxidants to your routine. A serum containing vitamin C can help protect from free radicals that can make skin look dull. Our choice: Skinceuticals! An amazing skin care line available in our salon & spa! Skinceuticals C E Ferulic is packed with antioxidants that your skin with love! We carry Skinceuticals and are more than happy to help you design a skincare regimen tailored specifically for you and your needs! After all, beautiful glowing skin is the foundation for gorgeous makeup!
- Want lashes that are curled to perfection? Other than donning gorgeous eyelash extension which will give you length, curl and volume, your next best friend is an eyelash curler. Get fabulous curled lashes by using your eyelash curler which has been slightly warmed (use a hairdryer on a low setting, as the metal can get hot and getting burned is not on tap for your beauty routine)!
- Fake a faux glow this winter by adding a bit of liquid bronzer or self tanner to your moisturizer. If you use a self tanner you will start to see a lovely warm glow in a few hours which will have you yearning for summer!
Biggest beauty trick ever? A beautiful smile!
This past Wednesday evening we were privileged once again to participate in Helen Ainson’s 2nd Annual Toys For Tots Fashion Show, and what a success it was! It gave us the perfect opportunity to test drive our brand new makeup line on the beautiful ladies modeling that evening! Our new line is filled with gorgeous, sumptuous shades of color, in luxurious creams and powders for every day, or sparkles and glimmer for those special occasions!
Models were treated to blowouts and makeup to enhance their individual features and tastes as they strutted down the “runway” that evening. Our own Paula and Natalya were stunning models in figure hugging dresses and glittering jewels, and we also provided two lucky ladies with head to toe makeovers. The evening featured delicious passed hors d’oeuvres from Festivities Catering and Event Planning, and goodie bags filled with special treats.
The best part of the evening was seeing the generous spirit of those who attended. Two huge boxes of toys, as well as monetary donations were given, which we know will put a smile on some beautiful children’s faces this holiday season! Thank you to all who attended and made this a huge success again this year!
Weren’t able to attend this year? Look for it next year and enjoy an evening of fashion, food and fun, all with the effort to give back during the holidays!
The eyes are the window to the soul, so they say. We can communicate with our eyes without even saying a word. Eyes can show love, worry, kindness and grief. The eyes show what our hearts can sometimes not. Since the eyes are such a focal point, it is a good idea to know just how to enhance them! Whether you have deep chestnut brown, vivid blue or enticing green eyes, there are shades of makeup (and clothing for that matter) that will just make those lovely peepers pop! We can offer you some guidelines here, but if you really want a “hands on” experience and lesson, you can book an appointment with our Co-owner, Dee, who will guide you through the ins and outs of perfect shade selection to make those gorgeous eyes shine!
Brown eyeshadow is a great choice for everyday. The warmth of the rich brown shadow will enhance your hazel eyes and make them twinkle! Look for shades with gold undertones for a warm look, or a cooler brown shadow for more cool skin undertones. Not sure? Look at the veins under your wrist. Blue veins speak to a more cool coloring, while green veins go more towards the warm family.
Want to bat those baby blues and make them stand out even more? Try a cobalt blue mascara which will make those eyes just pop! Not courageous enough to go that route? Choose a liner in a deep blue to bring out the whites of your eyes.
Play up your sultry brown eyes by using the blackest black liner. Where those with blue or green eyes may have to tread more carefully with an intense liner, those with brown eyes can use a bit more drama. Remember to always consider your skin and hair tone when choosing a liner.
Green eyes can be enhanced with deep purple and burgundy shades. These shades will draw out the flecks of yellow and just make those eyes pop!
Confidence is the key to using makeup properly to enhance (not hide!) your own beauty! Need some guidance? Schedule an appointment with Dee (our amazing makeup expert!) and let her guide you through the ins and outs of color choice and techniques!
Although the months of May, June, September & October tend to be the most popular months for weddings, the colder months, although less popular, can be just as lovely, especially with a beautiful dusting of white, glittery snow! There are so many details to take care of when planning a wedding. We know this, and take pride in offering the bride-to-be our Wedding Coordinator who will schedule all those pampering and beauty appointments, counting down to your very special day!
We offer fabulous services for the Bride and Groom, as well as for the entire wedding party, Mother of the Bride/Groom, and yes, even those adorable flower girls and ring bearers! Our team of pros are talented and dedicated to providing the very best in hair, nails, facials, massages, hair color, makeup and more….
We would be honored to be trusted to help you and your sweetheart get ready for one of the most unforgettable and incredible days of your lives!
Beauty & Pampering for The Bride, Groom and The Entire Wedding Party
Experience luxurious facials, massages, hair color and cuts, makeup, amazing eyelash extensions and so much more! Click here to visit our website for more services and information.
With the holidays fast approaching, invitations to cocktail parties, dinner parties, galas and more will be on all of our calendars. While the perfect outfit and accessories are totally a must, so is great hair and makeup in order to complete a fabulous look that has a few heads turning this season!
At the beginning of this month, we were invited to The Darien Community Association’s first luncheon of the season, which included a fashion show and our makeup artist extraordinaire, Dee Stefanou, demonstrating how to create the perfect smokey eye.
Contrary to what one may think, there is much more to creating the smokey eye look than a load of dark shadow! As with everything, the more you practice, the better you will become at mastering the oh so sought after sultry, smokey eye! Tips to remember:
- Layer, layer, layer! Build the color on your eye starting with a lighter color and adding deeper color as you go.
- Don’t forget those lashes. Long, lush lashes are a must for added oomph! Try a lash conditioner that nourishes, strengthens and grows your lashes (we love RevitaLash Advanced which is available in our salon) to beautiful lengths or eyelash extensions which will totally have you hooked after one time!
- Blend and then blend some more! Good brushes are a must to blend your shadows and smudge your liner perfectly.
- Don’t over tweeze your eyebrows. Part of the sexy look of a smoky eye includes brows that frame your beautiful peepers with groomed but not over manicured brows. Fuller brows also look more youthful (added bonus!)
- Darker shadow should go just above the upper eyelid crease to add depth, especially important for deep set eyes that need that added dimension.
- Light, medium, dark. Use three similar toned shadows. A light shade, a medium and then a dark matte shadow. Start with the lightest shade under the brow bone then add the medium shade across the top lid to the crease, finally the darkest color a bit above the crease, concentrating especially on the outer edge and blend up and out to “lift the eye”.
- Smokey eyes can be created with blacks, charcoal, brown, plums and more. Find what looks best on you.
- Use an eyeliner and smudge slightly with a brush.
- Line your waterline for added drama.
- Nude lipstick always look fab with a dark, dramatic eye but for an even more daring look, try a bright shade lipstick in fuchsia or other shade that compliments your complexion and coloring.
Need a lesson? Give us a call and schedule a makeup lesson with Dee. She can show you step by step how to create a fabulous smokey eye!
The Darien Community Association held it’s first luncheon of the season and kicked it off with a “Fashion Show for the Generations” this past Tuesday, October 4th. The fashion show featured clothing and accessories from The Darien Sports Shop and 10 beautiful models showed off two outfits each to a group of almost 100 ladies.
We were thrilled to provide hair and makeup for the models prior (and touch ups during!) to the fashion show. A big thanks to Ourania, Natalya, Tina, Ali and Miro for coming in early and doing an absolutely beautiful job in styling all of the models hair. Netta, Jessie and Dee provided gorgeous makeup applications on the ladies so needless to say, the models all looked amazing!
Once the lunch and fashion show were over, our talented Dee had a volunteer from the audience serve as her model to demonstrate how to achieve “The Perfect Smokey Eye”, as well as giving great makeup tips to all the ladies. Dee took questions from the audience on her recommendations for makeup, the benefits of eyelash extensions and lots more!
Yesterday we were part of an event hosted by KVO Collections which featured women owned businesses for an afternoon of food, fun, shopping and beauty.
Our very own Dee spent the afternoon transforming ladies at the event from plain (yet beautiful!) to wow with her simple steps for easy daytime makeup (and then her steps to go into evening!).
Here are Dee’s steps for a gorgeous daytime look:
- Apply concealer to tone down redness and hide any imperfections. Remember to blend, blend blend!
- Apply foundation in a light downward direction (in the direction of the tiny little hairs each of us has on our face) with a dry makeup sponge. Using a sponge allows for more natural looking coverage, allows for better blending and a softer look in general.
- Now go back over some areas with concealer, such as the inner eye area and under the eye.
- Take a neutral shadow highlighter and blend under the brow bone.
- Define brows with a pencil or powder. Fill in sparse areas and define the arch of the brow to really frame the face and make your eyes pop!
- Use a dark shadow (Dee used a dark gray here) in the crease. This is especially important for deep set eyes to pull the eye forward. Blend the darker shadow a bit above the crease for deep set eyes.
- Next, use a liner inside the waterline on lower lid. Dee used a dark blue/gray liner to bring out Caroline’s beautiful teal blue/gray eyes.
- Define the lip line to prevent lipstick from bleeding with a lip liner in a color close to the lipstick you will use.
- Fill in lips with lipstick. Here, Dee used a matte fuchsia colored lipstick on Caroline. Dark colors are big for fall 2016 — ranging from reds to burgundy to deep fuchsia!
- Dee finishes off the look with a bit of bronzer for an all over glow, and then a sweep of blush in hibiscus to give some beautiful color to her cheeks.
- No need for mascara, as Caroline has eyelash extensions so she can skip that step! (No extensions? curl lashes and apply mascara, allowing to dry between coats).
There is your perfect daytime look, done with a light hand, and taking little time! Now you can head off to the office or out for a day running errands with the kids! Want to transform this daytime look to night time? Here are Dee’s tips for going from day to evening in a snap!
- Don’t take off your daytime makeup! That’s correct, you heard right! Makeup over makeup actually looks better, as it blends with your natural oils. And not only does it blend better but it also gives you that dewy look we are all after!
- To refresh existing makeup, gently blot a toner (on a cotton ball) on your face. Dee uses Rosewater Mineral Toner by Skincare Essential (available in the salon) to refresh the base.
- Re-apply dark shadow in crease.
- Add a liquid or pencil liner from the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner. Keep the line thin at the inner corner and gradually allow it to get thicker towards the outer corner. This will give you that sexy cat eye look.
- Re-apply liner inside waterline on lower lid.
- Add more mascara or individual false lashes (if you don’t have eyelash extensions) for extra drama.
- Next, take a shimmer stick (which are really hot right now) and sweep on top of cheekbones for that JLo look! We have three available – one in champagne shimmer, icy mauve shimmer or bronze shimmer.
- Evening is the perfect time to “play” with your makeup. Add a shimmery shadow for some sparkle. Teal, blue, champagne, green, purple shimmer shadows add the “wow factor” to your look!
- Eyes aren’t the only place to add some sparkle! Lips in matte plum or purple look beautiful when a shimmer gloss is added to the middle of the upper and lower lip!
Want a makeup lesson with our makeup pro, Dee? Schedule a one hour session and get ready for the compliments! Let Dee teach you one-on-one! 1 hour makeup lesson – $110.
In a matter of weeks, fall will be arriving, and with it comes so many fabulous things to look forward to! There are lots of great fall outings and activities like going apple picking in a lovely orchard, toasting pumpkin seeds after carving your pumpkins, autumn entertaining with delicious comfort food, and last, but definitely not least, fall fashion and beauty, which always gets us excited! Time to try out new fashion trends, and we of course, absolutely love new trends in beauty and hair!
We gathered our fall fashion and beauty magazines and combed through them to find the 6 big fall beauty trends that you may want to give a whirl this coming season! We will break them down and give you our take on these trends, and if you are a bit shy about trying them for yourself, give us a call, and schedule a makeup appointment, to get tips and tricks for achieving a great fall look for yourself! Fall is a time of transition which takes us into the holiday and winter season, so sit back and let us fill you in!